‘Tis a happy day, folks. There is a chill in the air, and an amazing scent wafting from my kitchen. Roasted veggies, miso, garlic, and the distinctly earthy smell of one of my favorite vegetables, beets are all present. Ahhhhh. It’s delightful.
All of this came to be thanks to this recipe found right here from The Woks Of Life Blog. We had just made some miso soup a few nights prior and realized we had a ton of miso left. ” What am I going to do with all of this miso?” was my first thought. I didn’t want it to go bad, but I was drawing a major blank. Luckily, I stumbled across this deliciously tasty recipe and I was finally at peace and ready to make some miso magic.
If you’re not familiar with miso, you should get to know it ASAP. It’s a fermented soybean paste (which of course when I say it that way, sounds gross…but it’s not) that is not only gluten free, but because it’s a fermented food, it’s very good for your gut health too. Win win! Miso tummies are happy tummies!
This recipe is also super super easy which is always a good thing in my book. I used carrots, parsnips, red onion, golden beets and red beets in my version. Also, because I am the most forgetful person on the planet, I forgot Mirin at the store. Luckily, I am a wino and had some good white wine in the fridge and it turned out great! I may or may not have had a glass of said wine while preparing this as well. It was a good night.
Well, without further ado, here it is in all of its glory!
Miso Glazed Vegetables
Original Credit: thewoksoflife.com
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into evenly sized chunks
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and chopped into evenly sized chunks
- 4 golden beets, peeled and chopped into evenly sliced chunks
- 4 red beets, peeled and chopped into evenly sliced chunks
- 1 large red onion peeled and cut into wedges
- olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 garlic cloves sliced or pressed
- 2 tbs miso paste
- 2 tbs mirin or white wine
- 1 tbs good quality maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat the over to 425. Spread chopped vegetables evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil,salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast veggies in oven for 45 minutes or until edges are crisp and veggies are fork tender.
- In the final 10 minutes, make the glaze. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on med low heat. Add garlic and cook for approx 3 minutes. Whisk in miso paste, mirin (wine) maple syrup, and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer for approx 2 minutes or until it starts bubbling.
- Pour glaze over the roasted veggies and toss to coat. Serve warm either as is or with a little fresh thyme.
That’s it for today! If you enjoyed this and want to see more, make sure to give this a little like and a follow. Can’t wait until the next post? Feel free to follow me on social media like Pinterest, Instagram, or Facebook.
Until next time,